You are eligible to enter for this Award
- if you were born in 1991 or later (the age limit of 30 has been interpreted generously this year, given the pandemic impact during 2020-21)
- if you were born in Scotland, raised in Scotland or are an ongoing resident of Scotland.
- 10 unpublished poems. No more than 12 pages in length
- A sound recording of 10 unpublished poems being read, no more than 12 minutes in length
- A video of 10 unpublished poems, no more than 12 minutes in length
*PDF text, sound recording or video must not include your name or other identifying elements*
Please contact Siân McIntyre firstname.lastname@example.org if you require assistance with access.
Edwin Morgan experimented with many different forms in his work over the years, from sonnets to one-word poems, collage poems and concrete poems. The EMPA places no restrictions on the definition or form or look of a poem.
Text poems should be submitted as one single PDF to be uploaded to the submission form, without your name or other identifying elements appearing on the document.
Submissions can primarily use English, Scots or Gaelic.
We have expanded submissions to include video and sound files, both to open access to people who would prefer to submit in this format and to encourage those who may not use written text in their practice to apply.
Sound files should be uploaded to Soundcloud, with title and without your name on the upload.
Video files should be uploaded to Vimeo, with title and without your name on the upload.
Submissions are accepted via an online portal. We ask for name, address and phone number for administration contact details. These will be removed for judging.